Sunday 22 March 2009

Mothers Day, Jade Goody and smear tests

I had a vague plan to spend today being selfish and just doing what I wanted to do but being a mother doesn't allow you to cut off entirely from the responsibilities of the role.

I woke this morning to the news that Jade Goody had died from cervical cancer at the age of 27 (Radio 5Live 8am alarm) and wondered what advice I should be giving my daughters about having smear tests. Apparently in England screening starts at 25 but in Scotland and Wales it is 20 but this is under review. I recall my first test in the Doctors Surgery on Kings Parade, Cambridge when I was an undergraduate and either 20 or 21 so the advice on age of first testing must have got older rather than younger. I've never had any reason to think about it before. For myself, I've had a letter from my Primary Healthcare Trust sitting in my 'Home Pending' file since January reminding me that my next, 3 year appointment is due on 13th January 2009 so I'll be joining the queue at the surgery over the next week or so.

No comments: